This is a scrumptious midweek meal that comes together in minutes (especially if you use the already prepared and flavoured smoked tofu). My son says “I love tofu, it’s a sponge of greatness!” that was after having this bowl!
There are two ways to make this recipe: one you use smoked tofu the other you prepare the tofu and add liquid smoke to it. Either is fine. I’ve tried it both ways. Although, you need to remember to omit the liquid smoke if using the smoked tofu.
Smokey Teriyaki Tofu Bowl
IngredientsTo make this bowl:
- 1 large carrot shredded
- 2 cups snow peas julienned (sliced into diagonal strips)
- baby bok choy sliced in half (1 per person)
- 4 cups cooked rice (I used red and white but use whichever you prefer)
- 2 sliced green onions
- 1 block firm tofu or smoked tofu
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- juice of half an orange or 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp brown sugar or honey
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 large garlic clove minced (about a tbsp)
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger with skin (no need to peel)
- 1 tsp liquid hickory smoke (if using)
- cornstarch slurry (3 tsps cornstarch: 1/8 cup cold water, stir to combine smooth)
- sesame seeds
For the teriyaki sauce:
Add everything from soy sauce to the liquid smoke (if using) to a small pot set on medium heat. Once it begins to heat just under a boil add the cornstarch slurry and whisk until thickened. If you would like it thicker then prepare another cornstarch slurry and add in. Then remove from heat. Sprinkle in sesame seeds. Set aside.
For the tofu:
Smoked: open package and cut into cubes or triangles. For firm tofu: remove from package and lay on paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Wrap all sides and gently press the block until most of the moisture is absorbed into the towel. Remove from towel and cut into 1″ cubes. Heat a non-stick pan. Add a bit (1 tbsp or so) of sesame oil to the pan. brown the tofu on each side then remove from pan and add to the prepared sauce to marinate as you prepare the baby bok choy.
Baby bok choy:
Sliced in half, use the same pan as the tofu and place the cut side down on the pan to brown. adding a little more sesame oil when needed. About 3 minutes on medium heat.
Putting it together:
Place cooked rice in the bottom and top with shredded carrot, chopped snow peas, baby bok, tofu and green onions. sprinkle with additional sesame seeds if desired and drizzle remaining sauce all over! ENJOY!