This has been a favourite of my family for a few years now. So quick to make. Packed with nutrients and so delicious you won’t even know it’s good for you! I think it’s pretty eye-catching too with the many different colours. It’s great to pack for lunches as well.
It involves all the ingredients that are staples in my house. They are foods I make sure to get on my weekly shopping trips. The canned beans I keep in the pantry for times when I need them quick and even with a pressure cooker or instant pot, it isn’t faster than opening a can!
Beans are heart healthy too, being high in fibre and a source of iron and protein. The USDA recommends a weekly serving of 1 ½ cups of legumes (pulses) as part of a healthy eating pattern. Pulses.org Is a great resource for recipes and information if you’d like to up your intake of pulses/ legumes. They also have a Half-cup habit challenge which I did a few years ago. (I love a challenge). If you’d like to know more about how to incorporate pulses into your diet then please give that website a perusal.
Also another great resource for what to do with pulses/beans is Katie Kimball’s “The Everything Beans Book” The recipes are designed so that kids can make them and enjoy them. My boys have made a few recipes from that book and they are simple but flavourful.
This is one of my own:
Beans and Rice Summer Salad
- 1 341 ml (12 oz) can corn, rinsed
- 1 540 ml (19 oz) can mixed beans (kidney, chick peas, pinto) rinsed
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber, quartered
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Layer all ingredients into bowl. Pour dressing over and toss to coat. You can serve this immediately or prepare ahead of time, cover and place in fridge. It should keep for at least 3 days.
- Live life in the pink and ENJOY!