This has been a favourite of my family for a few years now. So quick to make. Packed with nutrients and so delicious you won’t even know it’s good for you! I think it’s pretty eye-catching too with the many different colours. It’s great to pack for lunches as well.
It involves all the ingredients that are staples in my house. They are foods I make sure to get on my weekly shopping trips. The canned beans I keep in the pantry for times when I need them quick and even with a pressure cooker or instant pot, it isn’t faster than opening a can!
Beans are heart healthy too, being high in fibre and a source of iron and protein. The USDA recommends a weekly serving of 1 ½ cups of legumes (pulses) as part of a healthy eating pattern. Pulses.org Is a great resource for recipes and information if you’d like to up your intake of pulses/ legumes. They also have a Half-cup habit challenge which I did a few years ago. (I love a challenge). If you’d like to know more about how to incorporate pulses into your diet then please give that website a perusal.
Also another great resource for what to do with pulses/beans is Katie Kimball’s “The Everything Beans Book” The recipes are designed so that kids can make them and enjoy them. My boys have made a few recipes from that book and they are simple but flavourful.
This is one of my own:
Beans and Rice Summer Salad
- 1 341 ml (12 oz) can corn, rinsed
- 1 540 ml (19 oz) can mixed beans (kidney, chick peas, pinto) rinsed
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber, quartered
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Open cans of corn and beans, place into a colander and rinse well.
- Layer all ingredients into bowl.
- Prepare the dressing then pour over mixture and toss to coat.
- You can serve this immediately or prepare ahead of time, cover and place in fridge. It should keep for at least 3 days.
- Enjoy life in the pink!