Cabbage lasagna is what my family is calling this dish. It’s like deconstructed cabbage rolls layered in a casserole but that title is a bit long so cabbage lasagna it is!
Traditionally cabbage rolls have cheese on top. There are many different cheeses on the market including vegan cheeses. I’ve tried this recipe a few ways and found that Monterey Jack cheese was the nicest. You could also try mozzarella, brick, mild cheddar, a vegan cheese similar to those or omit it altogether.
There are a couple of conveniences I used in this recipe: the canned lentils and the jar of pasta sauce. Use your favourite pasta sauce. Maybe you have your own home-made sauce at home? It’s fine to use it as long as it’s tomato sauce. When adding the lentils there’s no need to strain, just add it all. This will help to thicken the sauce.
Make sure to have your rice cooked ahead of time! I sometimes have extra rice saved from making too much from an earlier dish and then I have to find a way to incorporate it. That’s part of why I came up with this dish. That, and I had a few cabbages I needed to use!
If you give this recipe a try, let me know what you think in the comment section below.
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp ground coriander seed
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 can brown lentils
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 small or 1/2 large green cabbage
- 1 jar (500 ml) your favorite pasta sauce or strained tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and set your oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Chop the cabbage roughly into about 1 inch strips omitting the core and boil in the pot of salted water for about 10 minutes or until crisp tender. Drain and set aside.
- While the cabbage is boiling: In a sauce pan heated to medium add the diced onion, celery and carrots and a splash of water or a little (1 tsp) coconut oil to prevent sticking. Stir and cook until crisp tender. About 5-8 minutes.
- Add the next 5 ingredients (from garlic to red pepper flakes) stir for a minute then add 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce and stir.
- Add the lentils and rice. Stir and let come to a simmer (about 10 minutes)
- Prepare a baking dish (I used a 10 1/2″ X 10 1/2″ square) by spreading about 1/2 cup pasta sauce in the bottom.
- Start layering : cabbage, lentil-rice mixture, cheese, cabbage, lentil-rice mixture-cheese, pasta sauce and parsley
- Bake uncovered for about 20 minutes. Let sit for about 5 minutes before slicing.
- Enjoy life in the pink!
- Serve with garlic bread and a side salad