Super simple. Only 5 ingredients and if you’re Canadian (or North-Eastern US) you probably have all these ingredients in your cupboard already. Heck, you may even tap that sugar maple growing in your yard!
Maple syrup or sugar is a great year round sweetener in that it is a natural plant based source as well as containing trace minerals but is only harvested in and around March which then increase its price point. I’m lucky enough to know a farmer that offers a 1 liter bottle of dark maple syrup for a great price. Dark maple syrup is more intense in flavour and scarce, if at all to find, in the grocery store. If you can’t find dark maple syrup. Don’t sweat it! This recipe only uses 1 tbsp in the batter and so you could use the amber or light grade and will still get a maple flavour. That’s not all I use though, to intensify the ‘mapleyness’ I use maple flakes. Then, not only is the maple flavour carried throughout the cookies but you have an intense, sweet mapley crunch in every bite!
What better than to use a maple leaf shaped cookie cutter which you can find here.
Life in the pink can involve cookies too as long as the indulgences are not eating the entire batch! We all need a little decadence once in a while. It’s when those indulgences become the regular diet that it becomes a health risk. So this season, eat well and be merry, enjoy the now and then get back on track!
- 3/4 cup butter/margarine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup maple flakes
- Heat oven to 350°F/180°C
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine sugar and butter until well mixed. (can add a little more butter if dough is too crumbly)
- Stir in flour until just combined.
- Add the maple flakes and stir to incorporate.
- Roll dough out on floured board to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into small shapes (about 1-2 inches) with a cookie cutter and place on ungreased cookie sheet or a cookie sheet lined with a silicone mat.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until set and barely browned on the bottom.
- Let sit for 2 minutes then remove onto cooling rack
- Enjoy life in the pink!