Cranberries and orange the perfect complementary pair. Perfect for the winter season and festivities!
This is a cake which you could serve for breakfast Christmas morning! Bake it the night before and warm it in the oven in the morning as you open gifts or welcome guests. It’s gluten free and vegan so it’s great to bring to potlucks as well!
I love the cranberry-orange combination for this time of year and I don’t know about you but every cranberry-orange loaf or muffin I’ve had has not had a very powerful orange flavour. I think this one delivers on that! I juiced 5 oranges to get the orange juice and zest needed for this recipe using my juicer which is much faster than grating and juicing by hand. The peel packs such a flavourful punch it is absolutely needed. I also added orange extract to up the flavour even more.
The cranberries were fresh which I put in the freezer and helps them to stay in place in the batter, not turn mushy and stay tart. Cranberries do keep for a long time in the fridge but even longer in the freezer.
I used flax seed in this recipe which is an egg-replacer but also serves a nutritional purpose. It adds to the protein content as well as fiber and is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids which are very important to help reduce inflammation in the body and which we can only get from dietary sources. (See my friend Katie from Kitchen Stewardship’s post “Is Food Causing You to be Depressed? What You Didn’t Know About How Food Affects Your Mood” a very informative run down on foods that affect mood as well as the roll omega 3’s play.)
I like to buy the whole seed and then grind the amount I need when I need it. I use a coffee grinder, although they may as well call it a ‘spice grinder’ as I think it gets used for that more often! This is a good idea if you are not using the pre-ground seed on a daily as it can go rancid more quickly.
I used a large tart pan to bake this in but you could make muffins (reduce the baking time to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean) or 2 loaves using loaf pans. The loaves will need about 50 minutes to bake as well.
However you decide to try this recipe, I hope you enjoy it and that maybe it becomes part of your family’s tradition or at least gets put in the rotation for winter meal planning!
Cranberry~Orange Gluten Free Cake
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 3 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tbsp pumpkin spice blend
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup orange zest
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1 1/2 cups frozen cranberries
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C
- Prepare a 10 inch pan with a quick spray of oil, I used coconut.
- In a mixing bowl add top ingredients from coconut sugar to orange zest and mix until incorporated making sure to break up any clumps in the sugar or flour.
- Add in the coconut milk, orange juice and orange extract, mix until wet ingredients are incorporated (about 1 minute)
- Add frozen cranberries and fold in.
- Pour in to pan and spread evenly.
- Mix together the 1 tablespoon of orange juice and 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar and brush over the top of the batter. Sprinkle with coconut flakes.
- Bake about 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes then slice and serve.
- Enjoy life in the pink!