MMMMMMMM Bacon! Tofu Bacon that it! Try this out for your next “Meatless Monday” .
It’s all in the flavouring. For those of you that would like to have those flavours but not eat meat it’s easily recreated with tofu and a special combination of ingredients. It’s better for you, the animals and the environment too. I added nutrition labels at the bottom that show the difference in this sandwich with the tofu and with the bacon. Take a look and decide. Anything with a value greater than 15% is high and anything with a value of 5% or less is low. Sometimes we want that value to be high but when it comes to sodium, and fats a lower number is best because they are so easily attained. They are necessary but not in large quantities or overindulging which could lead to hypertension, obesity, heart disease etc… You ready to put down the bacon and opt for a tofu version?
Tofu Bacon BLT & Mushroom Sammie
- 1 package (420 g) firm tofu
- Bread or buns
- 1 227 g package sliced mushrooms
- salt, pepper & dried thyme
- Mayonnaise or Vayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 425°F/220°C
- Drain the tofu from the brine and wrap in a clean kitchen towel to absorb the liquid. Press down gently but firmly to release as much liquid as possible but not so much as to break the tofu. Unwrap and slice thinly (should have enough to make 12 cuts and then cut those 12 in half equaling 24 slices altogether.)
- Mix all marinade ingredients together then, in a shallow marinading dish pour a layer of the marinade in the bottom. Place the slices of tofu down and pour the marinade on top covering all sides of the tofu. If you need to place pieces on top of each other be sure the top and bottom of the tofu is covered in marinade.
- Allow tofu to marinate for at least 15 minutes or longer.
- Place tofu onto a baking sheet lined with silicone and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until crispy.
- To assemble: Choose your bread or bun, use mayo, mustard, mushrooms, tomato, tofu bacon and lettuce,
- Enjoy life in the pink!
Just as a comparison I added a nutrition label that is a traditional BLT with Bacon. The only component that changed was removing the tofu with the marinade and adding bacon: