Are you looking for a treat that you can send to school with your children that is allergen aware in the nut department? Try swapping peanut butter for tahini ~ A butter made from sesame seeds ~ and it’s delish in these bars!
Of course it doesn’t need to be brought to school, it can be an after-school snack. Or end of week indulgence! I like to have at least one indulgence in a week. Paying attention to what I’m consuming helps in regards to weight management. So indulgences aren’t off the list~ they’re accounted for.
- You could cut them in to bars or squares, the nutrition chart shows the value for 16 squares so be ware of that when taking into account your caloric intake.
- I used a mixture of white and black sesame seeds because I like the contrast but you can use any kind you wish or omit them altogether.
- This could easily be veganized by making a flax or chia egg instead of the chicken egg and using a vegan butter like Earth balance.
Tahini Cookie bars
- Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C and prepare a square baking dish by spraying it with cooking spray.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a separate bowl and set aside. (Flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon)
- In a stand mixer add: tahini, cultured butter and brown sugar. Mix until fluffy and incorporated. Add egg and vanilla. Beat for about 30 seconds to incorporate then add dry ingredients and beat until mixed in. (batter will be crumbly)
- Press in to prepared baking dish and sprinkle with sesame seeds then press teh seeds in to the top.
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until browned on the edges. Let cool for about 10 minutes in the pan before slicing. Can make 8 rectangular bars or 16 squares.
- Enjoy life in the pink!