Chocolate and mint are a winning combination, strawberries and chocolate are also a winning combination! I thought, “why not get this love triangle together and see what magic unfolds?” It’s a match made in heaven!
It’s a super quick dessert to make. I used a special variety of mint to make these. Chocolate mint. It has a nice warm chocolatey scent and flavor. I planted one plant a few years ago and now it is coming in quite nicely. I may dry it to keep year round for tea or adding in to other foods. It is a perennial so it will come back year after year and spread throughout the garden. I purchased mine from a local grower but you could buy seeds online from Amazon or visit your local garden centre.
To begin the process, I like to start with the strawberries to allow them time to mingle with the sugar and mint and express their juices. I use about one teaspoon of finely chopped mint leaves with the strawberries.
Next, I add the dry ingredients to the bowl, give it a stir, then add the vegetable shortening and using a pastry blender, mash it in to the ingredients until it resembles small crumbs. Then I add in the milk, chocolate and mint.
I give it a quick stir just to incorporate the batter. If it is too dry (it won’t stick together) then I’ll add a little more milk and then gather it into a ball for rolling out.
After baking, they double in size and become golden brown. A nice size to cut through and fill with strawberries!
I used coconut yogurt to top these but you could use whipped coconut cream or whipped cream if your heart desires. The recipe analysis accounts for whipped cream. The calories differ slightly as well as other nutrients depending on the topping choice so go with what is best for your body. Most of all enjoy life in the pink!
Chocolate~Mint biscuits with Strawberries
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk (I used almond) plus more if needed
- 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp chopped fresh chocolate mint (optional)
- 2 lbs strawberries (or more if desired)
- whipped cream, coconut cream or yogurt for topping
- Heat oven to 450°F/230°C
- Prepare the strawberries: give them a good rinse, removes stems and green tops. Slice some if they are too large for one bite. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp sugar and the chopped teaspoon of chocolate mint, give it a stir and allow to sit until they get nice and juicy. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut shortening into flour using a pastry blender until it resembles small crumbs.
- Add the milk, chocolate and mint, stir to incorporate, (if batter is too dry add a little more milk 1 tbsp at a time until wet enough to hold together) then gather the dough into a ball and turn out onto a floured surface. Roll it out to about 3/4″/2 cm thickness and using a floured cookie cutter, cut into 12 biscuits.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for about 10-12 minutes or until slightly golden browned. Allow to cool slightly for about 5 minutes before assembling.
- When biscuits are cool enough to handle, slice horizontally and place strawberries in the middle, place the top back on and add more strawberries if desired. Top with your favourite creamy topping: whipped cream, whipped coconut cream, or yogurt.
- Enjoy life in the pink!